We’re 10 days away from another March Against Monsanto. Will you be participating?
Here are 5 reasons why you should participate:
1. Stop the corporate take over of our food and water supply- Did you know that ex Monsanto executives now control the FDA? The agency tasked with ensuring food safety for the American public. On March 29, President Obama signed what has been called the “Monsanto Protection Act”. It allows Monsanto to promote and plant GMO and GE seeds free from any judicial litigation that might deem such crops unsafe. Private corporations already own 5 percent of the world’s fresh water. Billionaires and companies, including Monsanto and Nestle(that’s right, the friendly little candy bar company), are purchasing the rights to groundwater and aquifers. They are vying for a future in which free water supply is a thing of the past, and private companies control public water sources.
2. Send a message to food retailers that they should drop GMO’s- Put pressure on food retailers to label GMO’s or drop them altogether. Food retailers will be closely watching this event and our presence will send a message that we won’t tolerate GMO’s in our food. To help get GMO labeling on the ballot in Colorado go here: http://www.righttoknowcolorado.org.
3. Environmental Nightmares-Monsanto claims that it is a “leader and innovator in sustainable agriculture” when in reality they stand in the way of sustainable agriculture. Monsanto’s policies increase herbicide use, which can cause health effects, and perpetuates gene contamination, as engineered genes tend to show up in non-GE crops. Their products and technologies lead to resistant weeds and insects that can make farming harder and reduce sustainability.” This is only the tip of the iceberg.
4. Monsanto’s monopoly is putting real farmers out of work- There is nothing more un-american than stomping out a farmer’s livelihood, but that’s precisely what Monsanto is attempting to do. Over and over Monsanto is suing farmers out of their livelihoods by claiming patent infringements on their genetically modified seeds. Monsanto’s patent extends even to the offsprings of seeds so farmers are in violation even when Monsanto’s seeds contaminate their fields. Monsanto continues to build their monopoly over the agricultural industry with no signs of intervention by the U.S. government.
5. The biotech industry is deceiving the public with claims that GMOs are safe. There is mounting actual scientific evidence that Monsanto’s GMOs are putting the public health at risk. Monsanto’s so called “sound science” supports industry over public health and the environment. Studies have shown that GMO crops are not feeding the world and the industry has actually increased the use of pesticides which is poisoning people and the environment.
On May 24, 2014 you have chance to have your voice heard. Millions across the planet will march against Monsanto, calling for the permanent boycott of Genetically Modified Organisms. It’s time to act now against GMOs and harmful pesticides. To participate go to: http://www.march-against-monsanto.com.
Upcoming Kriya Living Events:
Rediscover Your Fountain of Youth with Anti-Aging Activists Susie and Bruce Wednesday May 21, 8:00pm EDT
Rejuvenate Your Mind and Body-Health and Wellness Seminar Wednesday May 28, 6pm Aurora Central Library 14949 E. Alameda Pkwy., Aurora, CO 80012
Beacon’s Creative Community Space
2630 E. Third Ave.
Denver, CO 80206